Thursday, November 11, 2010

Remembering...

I had a rather heated discussion with someone yesterday about wearing a poppy for Remembrance Day…

She pitched a scathing diatribe suggesting that “we should be praying for not glorifying war by dedicating a day to it and that she was part of a movement to change Remembrance Day to Peace Day”

I told her that “I am thinking of peace…and I honour all of the people that died so we have it….and if you don’t think I pray for peace on a daily basis…you are sorely mistaken...I am remembering my parents who did not serve in war time...but served none the less, my grandfather who suffered his whole life due to a war injury, my uncles, my aunts, friends old and new...I am remembering and honouring everyone who has served and given a piece of themselves so that we can live in peace."

She didn’t get it…but I do….everyone once in a while there's proof positive that you can be smart as the dickens and as learned as almost possible and still be a huge flaming boob.

So today I remember everyone that fought on our behalf…past, present and future….and I also remember that peace can begin with me

No comments: