Saturday, October 02, 2010

Moving is hell...

even if you are only moving a blog

I've had my blog a long time
and the reason
I’m trying to move
is cos the changes that Blogger made
that cause the first couple of years
of my blog to disappear

so I decided to go to word press
and to have my own url
and like the other blogs to this one
using it as my home page

lord tundering
this has been a lesson in patience for me

first I have to find a theme
that’s “what it looks like”
I have a vision
sadly
none of the theme builders
have the same one
so
you get it as close as you can
and then you start
futzin with code

in the case of Word Press
it’s ccs code
which while close to html
ain’t
if ya get my drift

then you have to move over
or import your posts from blogger
very easy
they both have import and export tools

however
the new one doesn’t have some things
that the old one did
and vice versa

so I’m improvising

somehow in the import
I ended up with 2
sometimes 3 of each post
so I got the brilliant idea
of deleting them all
and re-importing
and I did
but it wouldn’t
re-import
so I had to go rescue the posts
by the page
from the trash
and in doing so
ended up with 3
sometimes 4
of the same posts

then there’s the whole font thing
I want to be able to change my font
from post to post
with the default being tempus sans itc

I want to change the size of the font
and the color

you can in blogger
you can’t in WP
and as a result when I imported the posts
the came in several different sizes and colors

and I've just discovered that there's no way
to manage the spacing in posts
in WP
and in order to get this post in here
I had to paste it into notepad...
sheesh

I wonder if it's my theme?
part of my theme problem
is the way I write
most WP themes cause
my syntax to change to paragraphs
and that's a pain in the ass...
cos it makes all my posts
one long freakin sentence

and then there’s the links
I have to move them manually
I’m of the slow n steady persuasion
but I’ll get it done…
I’m feeling better about the move all the time
but it’s slow work
and in the meantime
I’m running 2 copies of 3 of my blogs
and the fourth is only in WP

yup...moving is hell
no matter if it's physically
or virtually.

No comments: