Thursday, November 19, 2009

the big move

is on...

the VOD is moving into
"independent living"

moving is traumatic
at any time
but at 80 it seems to be almost
the impossible task

this week she's going thru
17 years of beloved belongings

sorting what to take
and what to send to storage
(a ploy to avoid separation anxiety)

and what to throw away

for 8 of the 10 years
that I have lived
next door to her

I printed off every email
any family member sent

for her to read


I just walked into her bedroom
to find her sitting on the floor

reading all those 10 yr old emails
one by one
before deciding if she can throw them out

some of them mark momentous family occasions
but those aren't the one's she's keeping

the one she just read me goes like this:
Rodney Dangerfield says "we were so poor
when I was growing up
it's a damn good thing I was born a boy
er I'd have had nothin to play with!"

that's the kind of stuff she's keeping.

I'm from good stock eh?

1 comment:

Louie said...

When we moved The Dad we just put it all in storage. After he passed I went through his papers....What a laugh, all old xeroxed cartoons and old calendars and date books from 1956 etc...