Saturday, January 31, 2009

what do you read?


I've spent most of my life reading

I've been sick
in one manner or another
since the day I was born
so I've learned to while away the hours
by reading

I read all kinds of urban fantasy mostly
it contains all the best of fantasy,
romance, science fiction
historical fiction and mystery
that I need to keep me interested...

but lemme tell ya the problem
I've developed with that

the problem is..
that unless you have an urban fantasy reader
at your local library
who gets a voice in the kind of books they order
at said library
you spend a whole lotta time
looking for books by specific authors
and trying to convince someone to buy them
for the library

cos the other thing about urban fantasy
is that they are often written in series format
which means ya really ought to read #1
before you read # 9

capish?

the library rocks....
with all due respects to all those fantastic
writers that I enjoy reading so much
really...if I had to purchase all the books that
I read
I'd be livin on the streets...
prolly wouldn't hurt my waistline
but I don't like sleeping on the ground....

I also read blogs
my blog reading is responsible and responsive
to my urban fantasy tastes
in that
seems that every urban fantasy writer in the world
lives in the Pacific North West
and has their own blog

I just checked my library record...
and in 2008
I read 162 books from there...

that and kept down a full time job
that at least twice a year swells to
12 hour days for a at least
a month at a time
posted on all the freakin forums I belong to
the 3 blogs I write as often as I can
and increased I've my blog readin to the point
that I now use a reader to manage them


due to the weather...
I ended up with close to 3 weeks of
over the holiday season
without one freakin book to read

in the middle of January
the library
delivered 12
in the same week

seriously
all my holds came home to roost
in the same week

I need to be twins

so...what do you read?

1 comment:

Larissa said...

Honestly, I have a few absolute author addictions... Laurell K. Hamilton, JD Robb, Stephen King, & Koontz... there are others that I will randomly stumble upon that also become part of my absolute literary obsession and addiction.

I read when I can't sleep. I read when I take my long, hot baths to try and ease some of the pain that is Fibromyalgia and severe disc herniations in my spine.