Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Virginia Tech

my heart weeps for all 33 people
coldly and cruelly
gunned down in their prime...

I am shocked by the abhorrent visages
and repulsed by the media coverage

again and again
I sink to my knees in horror
at the loss

and I weep

Yet I rise again
in pride and admiration
for those brave heroes
that died in an effort to aid those
in their care

I am bereft, forlorn, inconsolable
and afraid

I've been reading
and listen
with incredulity
and stunned silence....
I need to know
to understand...

what kind of bankrupt morality allows for
the fact that people knew
that the young gun wielder
had "issues"

that his writing
"scared" his professors
and that they "feared" him
or that his art was "dark"

yet they did nothing?
what has happened to humanity...

that they would not take action
when they knew something was so very wrong?

why would they wait
for someone else to do something?

why would they not get involved
to avoid just this kind of travesty?

why has humanity become reactive
and not proactive?

are we as human beings
so completely afraid of the repercussions
that we no longer will step into the fray?

are we as human beings
so terribly concerned about our possessions
that we fear to lose them
by getting involved?

I don't want to hear that Rosie O'Donnell
is having a "bad time" dealing with this
she should

I don't need to know that Kelly Ripa
is "feeling bad"
she should

I don't give a shit what "Hollywood" thinks or feels
humanity should take stock...

and I sure as hell
don't need to watch over and over the
protestations of his last year's English prof
that she tried to "talk" to him or about

Liar!
I call
Liar!
and SHAME!
Shame!
Shame!
try harder damn it!
Had they tried harder
this could have been avoided
and 33 people would still be breathing...
alive...
to go on to greatness...
to love...
to have children...
to bounce their grandchildren on their knees...
and to help others...

I can not compare this wickedness
and horror at Virginia Tech
to Columbine
nor the World Trade Center
nor the Middle East

Each and every one
of these abominations
and tragedies
are burnt forever
into my brain

for
I fear what humanity
is becoming

I fear for our humanity
I fear our lack thereof.

No comments: