Thursday, September 13, 2007

pondering

all this thinking that I've been doing
about 9-11
has made me think
of other monumental occurrences
that have taken place during my lifespan
things that have shaped our worlds and lives......

where were you when the first man walked on the moon?

I was in Merritt BC at my aunt and uncle's place....the fadder was trying to watch the news clips as it happened and the aunt and the uncle and the cousin's were all gun ho to go to the demolition derby...the fadder says "this is history in the making...a man is walking on the moon" and the uncle says "yes...but the smash up derby only comes to Merritt once a year!"

where were you when JFK got shot?

"NOV. 22, 1963 (FRIDAY): John Fitzgerald Kennedy is shot at 12:30 p.m. while riding in an open-top limousine in a motorcade through downtown Dallas. He is pronounced dead at 1 p.m. at Parkland Memorial Hospital. Eighty minutes after the assassination, Lee Harvey Oswald is arrested. Later Oswald is charged with murder"
I was 8....and my mother wouldn't let me watch the footage on TV as she didn't want me "scared for life"

where were you when John Lennon got shot?

I was working in a bar in Thunder Bay ON...Matt Minglewood band had just finished playing an amazing set of rockin blues and walked off the stage for the night...3 minutes later, with the house lights on Matt came back on stage and announced that he and the band had just seen the news footage and that John Lennon was dead..his voice was laden with emotion....there was likely close to 300 people in that room and you could have heard a pin drop...and then the tears began

what sticks out in your mind?
what world changing event do you remember with absolute clarity?

4 comments:

That Girl Tam said...

The reading of the Rodney King beating verdicts - and the '92 L.A. riots that followed. Just days after my 20th birthday...

The day Princess Diana was killed.

The day JFK, Jr.'s plance went down.

9/11

Anonymous said...

The day the man walked on the moon, I was in my dad's office in Vientiane, Laos listening to the short wave radio about the landing.
Figured it was a special 16th birthday that day....

JFK's assassination I was in grade 5, living in New Jersey, and stayed after school that day. One of the other students came running into the classroom shouting that the president was dead...of course we didn't believe him, cuz he was the class clown. I even remember that kids name to this day. Saw Oswald get shot by Jack Ruby that weekend too - It was a beautiful fall weekend, and such a sad one too..

9/11 - home sick with a horrid head cold, and like you got an email. Very early in the am...the second plane hadn't even hit the second tower...I don't think I moved from the tv set ALL day...and then remembering seeing the guards at the base in full combat gear..scary

John Lennon...was walking into the living room and heard it on the tv. Couldn't understand why someone would want to hurt him....

Bee Wise said...

JFK - In grade 8 - kids were saying he had been shot - he had been killed - I called them liars - I couldn't believe it - we then got an announcement over the PA and were all told to just go outside for a bit - we all sat around the school yard stunned - eventually we were called back in - told it was true and sent home for the rest of the day.

Anonymous said...

JFK - I was a year old so I don't remember too much back then.

John Lennon - Was studying for a high school exam at the kitchen table when I heard my dad turn up the TV in the livingroom with the news story.

The Space Shuttle Challenger - sitting in the lobby of the court house in Fort MacLeod, AB waiting to talk to the clerk regarding the filing of my divorce papers. Nobody moved for about 5 minutes as we watched the tv broadcasting the launch then the subsequent explosion.
ld