Monday, September 17, 2007

The Port Alberni Toy Run

the Toy Run was this past weekend
traditionally it's the season closer for us....

once again I wasn't able to ride....
it's a wing thing (still in a sling thing)

so I drove up and met my friends at the arena
they told me that there was well over 1000 bikes
in the parade

(later it was confirmed for me
by the Toy Run Committee
that they start counting when bikes arrive
on the road to the staging area
and they stop precisely at 12 noon
- so it has nothing to do with registrations)
but I digress....

we stayed at the arena for about an hour
and then headed over to our motel
(we stay at a little motel on the strip
that loves us)

the motel is in 2 pieces
and the set up affords the parking lot
to become a courtyard
a party courtyard....
the motel supplies us with tables and chairs
and locks the gate so no one can mess with our rides
when we aren't there.....
(we shuttle to and from the dance)

so there we are imbibing in beverages
and laughing like fools
and I look up to spot a new couple in our midst
my friend Kaz met them next door at the motel beside us
and invited them to join us....

I look at them and realize
with a big ole shock
that the woman
is my ex-blister in law
aka the bitch that ruined my bother's life
for about 17 years
and if that's not enough...
she hasn't talked to their teen aged son
in 3 years cos he chose to live with his dad (my bother)

I am completely gobsmacked to see her there
cos I got 17 years of looking down her nose at me
for being a biker
calling me names and inferring that being a rider
made me inferior or stupid....

yup...she's definitely not one of my
favorite people....

it occurs to me almost immediately
that should I not want to become
the damn floor show of the weekend
I'd best stop imbibing

cos I really truly do have one or two
little teeny weeny points
I'd like to put across to this woman
(and I'd likely with the back of my hand
if I continue to drink)

so I pointedly ignored her....
no small feat in a group of 30-40 people
but hey
I R an Artiste!

later....when I went in for a shower
to prepare for the evening ahead
I sent the bother (who was in Calgary at the time)
a text message:
"here I am in Alberni partying with the bikers
and guess who's here?"

he replies: ""Dallas?" (who is a friend of ours
that's been MIA from Port Alberni for 4 years)

I reply: "no the blonde princess....
partying with the bikers"

he replies: "divorce final, open season,
send in the big guns"

I reply: "don't need big guns....
I'm drinking alcohol.....
will call for bail!"

and that was one of the high points of my evening
well that and the water pressure
but that's another story LoL

as always....the truest high point
was being anywhere with my friends
my family....
the people that mean so much to me
that I can trust to not intentionally hurt me
who care for me when the chips are down....
them people...
ya know?

I love 'em all
even when if they act dumb LoL

anyway....when I was speaking
to the guy from the Toy Run Committee
I suggested that he should have
an award for the person
who'd had to drive
as opposed to ride the most often over the years
(this being my 3rd yr in a row and all)

it was pouring at the time....
he suggested that maybe
most riders wouldn't be feeling very sorry for me
as I got in the car and drove home in the rain

ya think?

No comments: