Wednesday, November 05, 2008

it's a little bit funny

this business of developing Internet friends...

many of the friends that I have on line I have IRL (in real life) as well so...finding out the who's and the what's of these people is easier cos I can meet them face to face and make my judgments based on body language and actions as well as the printed word.

I have numerous friends that I have developed relationships with over the course of years on line that I have never met face to face...and I admit that I have a tendency to believe the best of people until proven otherwise...

I say all this as I'm surprised at my surprise over the reactions of some people that I thought highly of to the fact that Barak Obama is President elect of the US of A.

Two people who I've know for many years on line, laughed with, cried with, shared pleasures and joys, as well as sadness' and losses, have said that they are less than impressed with the person that won the race...

One person said "In my heart, I believe that everyone that voted for that asshole fucked up"

and another said "the fat lady done sung....and I really hate that song"

I gotta say...it surprised me - and made me doubt my perception of that person ongoing....

I can't for the life of me understand why people wouldn't want hope or change. I've not felt this good about US politics since JFK was murdered.

Another blogger I read says "I know a lot of people say McCain was “classy” in his concession. That if he’d been that way all through the campaign they wouldn’t have minded him as President. That’s awful nice. But I grew up in a conservative, xenophobic household. I know what McCain was saying on the surface, and I know the code words he was using to reach the hate-filled basket of idiocy that is all the Republican Party has left. McCain’s message was not gracious. It was, “Sarah will redeem us in 2012. Until then, make it impossible for this interloper to make any real change. Clinton him if you can–scream long and loud into the Faux News echo chamber we’ve built, and make him pay. Make it impossible to get any real work done.” "

For me...I know that I sincerely cried tears of happiness...for my feeling of hope for my American friends for the first time since 9-11...for the first time since the day the towers came down I think there will be someone at the helm that "gets it".

I watched with damp cheeks one African American broadcaster who's father had said that he could be whatever he wanted to be - even the President of the United States and now he could tell his father that he was right, and the other who's father had told him he had no choice and no hope of being able to rise to get ahead in America as a man of colour - now he gets to tell his father "daddy, I love you but you were wrong".

There were 2 parts of Obama's speech that moved me specifically...

1..."And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote tonight, but I hear your voices. I need your help. And I will be your president, too"

2....."The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even in one term. But, America, I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there."

I am reminded of Dr. Martin Luther King, who said "we shall overcome. "

And cos I am a Canadian..made up of an odd combination of romantic and realist....I gotta say...I like what Oprah says...."hope won"'

This time I think she's right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may or may not know, I hold dual citizenship. I spent many years on the other side of the border, and quite frankly I like it on this side.
That said...I was glued to my television practically all day election day. I remember the days of segregation and whites only. I remember hearing the hated "N" word for the first time and detesting it.
I remember the busloads of people who went to the south to protest. And the likes of George Wallace, and others.
Last night was significant in many ways. A reporter that they remembered when Rosa Park sat so that Martin Luther King could stand, so that Obama could run, and now that black youth can fly, and did they ever, showing up in droves at the voting polls.
Like I heard last night...it wasn't about race, it was about change..and I think those in the US who "got it" truly spoke their peace!!
Thank God for that