Sunday, July 26, 2009

there's a sucker born

every minute...

and I've never claimed to not be one

on Friday...whilst driving home from work
I spot these signs
"Blueberries" with an arrow
so I follow them
and go on this merry drive
over hill and dale
through a farmer's field
till I get to the place
that's selling blueberries
I'm not supposed to eat blueberries
cos my personal version of Crohn's
doesn't like anything raw and/healthy
but
I've recently had a real taste for blueberries
however they are hyper expensive
ever since that Dr Oz guy
went on Oprah and said
that they are the absolutely best
food one can eat
due to the antioxidant nature
of the berries

I mean 4.99 for a half cup of berries
at the grocers
kinda sux eh?

so anyway...
I finally end up
at this farm
where they have a whole assembly line
of pickers and a store
and I bought 2 pints of blueberries

(this is where the sucker part
comes in)
I paid $25.00
for 2 pints

they looked so good
large and fat and luscious and juicy
big dark blue berries...

so I bought em
and said "damn the torpedo's" to myself

I got them home
excited to feast
washed em up
and once they were drained
popped a handful
into my mouth

bliss?
heaven?
not so much

sour!

not a little sour
the kind of sour
that puckers up the whole bottom half
of your face
and squints yer eyes up
the kind of sour that
you feel at the back of your throat
long after you've swallowed

and - here I sit
3 days later
game fully trying to eat em
cos
after all
I paid $25.00 for the damn things

yup
a sucker born every minute....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you'll say, but nonetheless... they'd make a great blueberry pie, you can offset the tartness with sugar.

Anonymous said...

Pie? Jam????