Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dog people....














it now strikes me as funny

that I went so long
without a dog in my life

dog owners
are a strange lot
but I guess I fit right in

I've only had this pup for
6 days
and already
I'm completely enamored
with having
something
living
breathing
chirping (cos she hasn't found her voice yet)
when I come thru the door

Something happy to see me
unconditionally
happy

she's been to the vet
and has none of the health issues
we thought she might
no heart murmur
no luxating patellas

she weighs 2lbs 9oz
and it turns out
she's actually 18 weeks old
instead of 13
but it's all good

I'm tickled pink
I prolly should have done this
3 years ago
right after I lost Coco

Pixie is a welcome
addition to my home...

she's found dust bunnies
bigger n her
tucked in a couple of places
behind doors and couches

she likes music...
with every new piece of music
I play
she sits up
and stares at the speakers for a bit
as if gauging whether or not
she approves...

she's discovered dropped
sunflower seeds for chewing
cos she can get under things
my vacuum won't fit

she's tried to chew
wax, a pencil, my glasses

potty training
is a work in progress
and if I give her a dental chew stick
she can only chew half at a time
which causes her
to run around the house
all in a flutter (literally)
trying to dig a hole
to hide the remainder in
behind the couch,
in a bag full of wrapping paper
under the couch cushions

it's hysterical

she's buried her Kong chew toy
under the afghan on the couch
and used her nose to
smooth the blanket out
so that no one will know it's there

...shes a dog
no matter how tiny
shes a dog

and apparently
as I am enjoying her so much
I am a dog person

4 comments:

Wade said...

Excellent... as you've heard me say so many times... treat her like a dog and not a princess and lo & behold, she'll behave like a dog! Sounds like the two of you are settling in together just right!

WyzWmn© said...

@Wade

make no mistake my friend - she's a princess...lol - a little wee one - but a princess none the less LOL

Louie said...

BT is beside himself with jealousy...I'm happy for both of you, sometimes it's just meant to be, even when your *Terrier* turns out to be a big galoot.
I can't wait to meet her.

Arlenes Assinine Ravings said...

Sweetie I always knew you were a dog person I can tell by the way my kids luv you. Isnt it a wonderful feeling coming home to unconditional love?