Thursday, October 11, 2007

curiouser and curiouser

Upon my return to work this week
my colleague...
the person that does the job
between
me and the boss
announces that she has been
offered another job within the co
and that it will be
a substantial raise and promotion

The boss...reeling over the loss of her friend
the Dr on Monday
goes into a tail spin
and panics
about who she is going to get to put
into that job

I'm thinking..."hello? have you read my resume?"

so as usual
she heads off on a tangent
to make arrangements around
the time line for my colleagues new job
without of course asking the colleague
(I can't wait to hear that conversation!)

then she proceeds to tell me all about
how the person that "she" chooses will have
to be a quiet academic

she's unofficially meeting
and coffee-ing with people
to size them up for the position
(this from the woman who spends
all her time talking about transparent processes)

I started out keeping my mouth shut
then finally yesterday
at the end of the day
she broaches the subject with me
by stating:
"well it's perfectly obvious that
the position is not one for you"

I says "not necessarily so...I haven't read the
job profile yet"

she goes off on this 40 min rant
all about how that's not the job for me
because it's so obvious that it's a job for an
"academic"

I let her hang herself
and then I said..."do not mistakenly rely
upon the fact that my dream is to spend
the rest of my life
sitting at this desk...doing 10 times the work
that you 2 do for less than one third the wage"

she was gobsmacked...

then went off again about this being the perfect
job for my personality type
and how she's "a Meyers Briggs facilitator"
so she knows it's the perfect job for me
cos she "knows me"

"Ya well....not so much
cos I am motivated to move beyond this job
both monetarily and psychologically
and frankly
the only reason that I can think of that
you don't want me to apply for the coordinator's job
is that you are terrified you won't find someone
as good as me....stupid enough to work for this wage."

She got airborne.

she told me that she was a good boss
and that she always "listened to me"
that she always knew what I was saying
"because I wear my heart on my sleeve"
just like her...


I told her that I may well wear my heart on my sleeve
but that the major difference
between her and I is that I listen with my ears
not my lips...

she didn't like that much
but at least she knows where I stand now

I'll likely apply for the job
but I don't stand a hope of getting it
but she is definitely "on notice"
that while I like my job and enjoy what I do
I don't have dreams or aspirations
of retiring here.....

No comments: