Thursday, February 22, 2007

One of Life’s Greatest Lessons

Is the lesson of putting things in perspective

I have a friend named Bill.
Bill and I worked together for 3 years
he’s a jolly fellow
always quick with a laugh and a hug

oddly enough
when I started working on my new job
Bill’s wife works across the hall from me in the same building

Christmas day Bill was called by his Dr
he has inoperable cancer of the spine and brain
and he is to come to the Vancouver Cancer Clinic immediately
if not sooner

if you catch the right “boat” and the traffic is going your way
you can be there in 4 hours

No small trauma for Bill and his wife

Bill undergoes treatment
during which he looses he huge head of hair
and about 50 lbs
he is week and sickly
but is showing his “stiff upper lip”

Bill is allowed to come home the end of January
as long as he keeps his “treatment” up
at the Victoria Cancer Clinic
and he does so faithfully

last Friday Bill received a call
from the Vancouver Clinic again
GET HERE NOW! they say

He calls his wife
she rushes home from work
they jump in their vehicle
catch a boat, race thru traffic
and make it there in 4 hours

Only to be told that the treatment
that they are providing him
could have been done at home.

I gotta say
I’m learning from Bill

Life is about getting things in perspective...about discovering what's important
There but for the grace of all the gods
go you and I

No comments: