Sunday, February 25, 2007

Speaking of putting things in perspective...

I've just come home from a memorail
for yet another rider
John "Red Dog" Farmere
this man was the heart and soul of the
Luxton IronHorse MC Rally for 6 years
I chaired the Ride for Sight in BC for 4 years
and he and I met as we (the Ride for Sight)
partnered with them for a couple of years....

When the RFS had to leave Luxton
(not a decision I made but a corporate one)
Red made the decision to close the IronHorse
and I took a lot of heat
from riders I didn't even know
saying if I'd have stayed with Luxton
there would still be both and IronHorse
and a RFS in BC.

I felt guilty about it cos in my heart
I thought maybe it was true
I got a call from Red one day
just to tell me that he'd heard
I was taking some heat
and he wanted me to know
that the decision to fold
had nothing to do with me
that it might in fact have something to do
with the RFS pulling out
but not me as a person.
today I was struck yet again
by the sadness of another family
lossing someone too soon.



FARMERE, JOHN Monday, 12 Feb 2007


JOHN FARMERE (Red Dog) 1946 to 2007 Red, beloved spouse, father, grandfather passed peacefully February 12th, 2007 at the young age of 60. Red is survived by his loving family, daughter, Tara, grandchildren, Karli, Nicholas, and loving spouse, Karen and her children, Len, Jennifer, and their families. Red Dog will be greatly missed by his large extended family and many friends. “RIDE WITH THE WIND” A celebration of Red’s life will be held at Luxton Hall, Langford, Sunday, February 25th at 2pm.

1 comment:

Bee Wise said...

I am so glad you were able to go - Red was a good man - the very first time I met him, he was so warm and welcoming - I felt totally comfortable with him - I wish I still had the pic of you and Red at the Luxton Iron Horse dance that year (2002) the year that you danced for the first time in how many years??.