Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Walk down Memory Lane or...

the soundtrack of your life...

I've had this conversation before
hence my comments on this
"Deadline Dames" post
and it started again on FB today
and wanted to share more here

ya know how there are things
in one's life
that immediately transport you
back to certain times and places in your life?

for me music is always the catalyst for the visuals

I remember the year I turned 12
my family traveled to Toronto
from the wee town in NWOn
we were stationed in at the time...
the fellow that owned the the car
owned one 8 track tape
Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass - "A Taste of Honey"
and when I hear it now
I'm 12 and sitting between my father and the driver
neither of whom were small people

or the summer holidays
with the old original portable cassette player
sitting on the dashboard
of the VW Van my father drove

and my brother and sister
and mother and I

singing at the top of our lungs to
Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
or
The Band's "Stage Fright"
that we'd recorded
from the speakers using

the portable microphone
that came with the cassette player...


I can remember with complete clarity
what was on the radio the day of the car accident
that changed my life (and my face) forever....
David Essex singing "Rock On"
I'd just moved back to Thunder Bay from Montreal
and Rock On had been number one all summer

I remember what music was playing
the day the police came into the bar
to tell me that Michael had been killed...
Van Halen's "Jamie's Crying"

or the day I signed the papers
to give my daughter up for adoption
Eric Carmen singing "All By Myself"

or the day that man stabbed me in the airport
Alice Cooper singing "I Never Cry"

or the weeks leading to my maternal grandmother's death
Enya's whole "WaterMark" album

or the resultant wake held in a pub
up the street from her house...
where 20-30 of my cousins

and myself sang
Don McLean's "American Pie"
at the top of our lungs
in homage to her


I remember the tunes
playing in the bar the night

I met the man
that resulted in the best sex of my life

Stan Rogers "Barrett's Privateers"
and the one playing the day
I met the man that resulted in the worst.

Men at Work - "Down Under"

I remember the songs playing
the day they told me I had cancer
Tears for Fears - "Shout"
and the day the told me I'd have no more children
Foreigner's "I Want to Know What Love Is"

I remember the night John Lennon died
I was working in a bar listening to
Matt Minglewood singing "Can't You See"

I remember the songs attributed to good friends
Billy Idol's "Mony Mony" for Little Lori Lost
long time friends
Golden Earing's "Radar Love" for the Vezzies
(where ever they are)
the day I met Sweet Pink I listened to
Matchbox 20's "3AM" all day long

and all the songs that remind me
of the people that are friends no more.
(I'll just leave that one lay for now.)

there's many many more
but suffice it to say...
I remember the songs
attached to all
the momentous occasions
in my life

do you?

1 comment:

White Tiger said...

Deja Voodo, Play list re-do today..
Need to reflect on them years let the fools know It's been a long time.... Another great post WyzWmn..
Thanks for your efforts on greatness___