Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Meet Daisy...


once upon a time
I served a Canadian MC'ing event
called the Ride for Sight

it was an annual fundraiser for
the Foundation Fighting Blindness
Canada

I was the BC Provincial Chairperson

in that capacity
as a fundraiser for the event
we held (over the 4 years I was chair)
several charity BBQ's
in conjunction with M & M Meats

the first year we held the BBQ's
I had assistance from the local SCRC chapter
of which I later joined, became an officer, served
and left

at the first BBQ held here in Victoria
I had occassion to meet an elderly woman
named Daisy

Daisy had very bad arthritis
and came out to tell me
that she'd not sat on an MC in some
70 years

"why" I asked

"well" she said
"once upon a time
a fellow took me for a ride
on one of them there
Harley Davidsons"

she paused and winked

"I thought he was quite a
nice fellow but my dad
would have torn a strip offa me
if he'd have found out"

"so why didn't you go again"
I asked

"well he took me miles and miles
out into the country on this old dirt road
and then he just stopped
and he turned around and told me
I'd have to kiss him if I wanted a ride home"

"oh my" I said, "what did you do Daisy"

"why I slapped him and walked nigh
onto 6 miles home" came her reply

I asked if she wanted to sit on the Pickle
and she allowed as she'd like to try
so with a little wrangling her
grand daughter and I
got her in the driver's seat"

meet Daisy....










(click on the picture to make it big enough to see Daisy's face - delighted!)

thanks Gator for sending me these pix
it's great to wander down memory lane...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the epitome of kindness...and I am not sure who has a bigger grin on her face.

Might be a moment of passing for you...but I bet she will remember that for a lifetime

Unknown said...

Very awesome, my friend. I bet she's still smiling now.

Kudo's to you!