Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Don't give up

I'm a sucker for schmaltz
as much as I try
to believe that I'm not

I'm still a sucker
for movies with "happily ever after"

and I've just finished watching one
so I've got that goofy grin on my face
that comes from watching schmaltz

it's been a cruddy day....

first off it's the end of an era
the $100.00 car is no more
my buddy Barney hauled the old bitch
off to the scrapper today
*sigh*

I know it was necessary
and will likely mark
a new beginning for me
but I was sad to go out there
and see the old girl
gone

I didn't go to work today
I have an eye infection
likely precipitated by
road goo from getting
caught in the grand daddy of all
thunder and lightening storms
on the weekend

when ya got a crappy eye
yer nose runs
and yer head pounds...

ya can't read
ya can't watch tv
and ya can't write

it's boring
and it gives you way too much time
to think

thinking is all good
as long as yer in yer happy place
but not so much
if ya ain't....

today I spent a great deal of time
thinking about how "infirm" I've become
and how
in spite of the dr
I'm gonna find a way to become less so

so to that end
I changed two tri-lite sockets today
and started mucking out my file cabinet

no large feat for most
but large for someone who's sat on the couch
for ever n ever
courtesy of the dad blasted dr

(note to self re changing light sockets:
them little things that say "press here"
to allow you to simply separate the 2 parts....
not so much
you need hand strength
to do that....
so I got up close and personal
with a pair of channel locks
and pulled them apart anyway)

all of which caused me to have a talk
with my friend B
who is also a victim of his injuries
about not succumbing
about not giving in or giving up
about fighting our age
and our health
tooth and nail
about quantity
vs
quality
of life

cos living next door
to the VOD for almost
10 years
has taught me well
what will happen
if we give up

don't give up
try
if ya fall on yer ass
get up and try again

don't give up

1 comment:

AlberniBuzz said...

Get urself firmed up Wyz, got a strenuous weekend ahead :)
I hear you about the car too, Louie and I were both in the driveway watching the crate get towed. All those miles over the years, seems a shame to see em go to the wrecker don't it? take care!