Sunday, September 28, 2008

I've joined a stitch n bitch


...cos see?

I have this ongoing obsession with "big brother and big sister" afghans...mostly cos I can make em quickly (depending on the size of the big brother or sister) and cos they mean a lot to me

I was an only child till I was 7...when my brother showed up I discovered that being a big sister meant that my parents didn't have as much time for me as they had and that I was no longer the single most important "apple" of anyone's eye...(what? it was the very early 60's and parents didn't know better than LoL)

as an adult I remembered that feeling of loss when I watched the older children of my friends and decided that what I wanted to do was make the big brother or sister of my friends never have to go through that...so I crochet a blanket for each of my friends that are expecting and on the day that they bring home the newborn I give the big brother or sister their blanket along with a card/note that reads:

"Being the big brother/sister is hard work. Mom's and Dad's always seem busy with the baby and sometimes that doesn't feel good. So when you don't feel good about being the big brother/sister...you just wrap this blanket around you and think of it as a hug from all the other big brothers and sisters out there in the whole wide world....and know that you are not alone….that other people have felt this way too.”

Yup…that’s me…closet sap….but I’ve made them rippled, striped and solid, granny squares, Bermuda squares, bubbles stiches, single, double and treble stitched…I’ve made them pink and blue and yellow and green and black and probably every other color you can think of…and I’ve always found a kid to give them to somewhere….

Recently my 18 yr old, 6 ft 6in nephew came to live next door to me while attending Uvic…he brought his big brother blanket with him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, thought I'd pay your site a visit.
I can knit too but I've never done quite what you have. I make socks for people and they wear them like slippers.
I've just promised a friend I'd make her a Aran sweater, I guess tomorrow would be a good time to visit the yarn barn.

WyzWmn© said...

@ WarriorWoman

I don't knit as much as I used to...crocheting is easier to do while I do something else...

if you are trying your first sweater you might want to try a "sweater on the round" cos their just 3 tubes (2 of which are smaller than the third and tied together....

and for you first try...leave the fancy decorations for later...cos ya loose count....LoL

I've never been able to turn a heel...

Anonymous said...

Hi ya,
No I've knit sweaters in the past, I can do them fine I just usually end up knitting socks cause they cost a lot less if I'm giving them away.

And turning the heel, well I learned that from my mother.
I come from a long line of knitters, actually all the women in my home town can knit. It's taught at an early age from mother to daughter and so on down the line.
I don't have children so I guess it stops in my family with me.
Too bad that.

WyzWmn© said...

@ WarriorWoman

me too...with the no kids...and in my family it's storytelling that's handed down...

so the no kids thing is the reason I joined a stitch n bitch...cos I there's young women I know that want to learn basics and would have to pay someone...so maybe I can help?

besides...I couldn't find a book club that reads mostly fantasy LoL
cos I don't read much more than fantasy and books on Paganism...although I read a lot...