Saturday, September 20, 2008

Once Upon A Time....

a long time ago
I loved to cook
I made pots of sauces

I made pails of soup

and I made tons of food
that I gave away
to friends,
the homeless...

I just liked to cook.

I loved it soooo much

that I got this big brainwave
and I decided
that I'd do it for a living


when you take something you love to do

and put yourself in the position to have to do it...

it can sometimes take the fun outta it


cooking became about
makin it to my shift on time

it became about the politics of the Master Chef

it became about who's turn it was to fire who


so I quit cooking
and started working in a bake shop

and the same thing happened
so I quit cooking all together
didn't even rarely cook at home....













today I'm brewing vats of food

cos my nephew has moved
to the city to go to UVic

and the act of puttin
a little of this

and a little of that

into a big pot
over a slow burner

has made me happy


and that's something that I haven't been able to say
for a while.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yupyup, that's why I never got a job in a kitchen despite my proclivities towards the culinary... why take a perfectly enjoyable thing and make it a job? Then again, what I *do* do for a living is something most others do as a hobby, so I guess I didn't learn that lesson real well.