Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Families eh?

The VOD and I had another scrap about the blister tonight...I've tried to explain that it's hard to have any kind of respect for someone that treats me the way she does, and it's hard to take the VOD always treating her like she's Queen for a Day when she finally deigns to show up.

I know it's wrong for me to bear the kind of distaste for my own sister that I do - but I simply find it immoral for someone that makes as much money as she does to have not even sent a single cent (in spite of lying all those times and saying that she had put money in the post) when the VOD was so sick...it angers me that I almost lost my job for taking care of the VOD and the blister just gets to drop in from lofty heights and gets treated like royalty...and I'm tired of being the beck n call girl while the VOD raves about what a wonderful human being the blister is...

I want my fucking life back....and frankly, I've said it before and I'll say it again....it breaks my heart that I have better relationships with people in my riding club than I do with my own sister. I know people trust me, and respect me, and honour me and love me. But does my sister? I think not.

The VOD wasn't up for any kind of discussion - she went from sorta pissy to out of her mind upset in one fell swoop....turns out that a week ago last Tuesday the VOD got a phone call from her sister in Merritt

Her sister is a recluse and only comes out of the house when accompanied by family members
to the Dr or the bank, her eldest daughter must drive 45 min each way to pick her up, her youngest daughter is a junkie and can't be trusted with the price of a loaf of bread

Her sister has just returned from the dr and has been informed that 60 years of smokin rollies has paid off - she has cancer of the esophagus...inoperable. She implores the VOD not to tell anyone until she can tell their brother who is currently working in Bali.

So the VOD doesn't tell anyone, she just sits at home crying, and not telling anyone until we all think she's lost her mind.

Tonight the sister calls the VOD and asks her to find a way to contact the brother in Bali to tell him that she's dying, because she's much worse and the dr has now prescribed morphine. So I emailed him asking him to call home. (now that's fair)

Although as adults the VOD and her sister have not exactly been close....the VOD with her marriage in ON and the sister in BC...they have over the last 10 years or so developed quite a "phone" relationship.

The VOD is devastated...and I've offered to book some time and take the VOD to Merritt to see the sister before she dies. She doesn't know if she can go...she's terrified of death...and she's frail. But I am her strength...and I will see that it gets done. Cos that's who I am.

All of this got me to wondering...if something happened to me, would the blister come unglued...would she try to make amends...would she want to....is she emotionally stunted or just an incredible narcissist? Is she passive aggressive or an untenable bitch?

good questions....
I sure as hell am no closer to understanding family than I was before...
Look out Merritt...apparently...here I come.

No comments: