Monday, May 14, 2007

more on family...

so
the maiden aunts arrive unannounced on Wed of last week
this of course throws an immediate cluster fuck into my plans for the weekend
I am now the obligatory "Karen will drive you"
I'm not looking forward to this at all

so the deal is that we are to meet the aunts at my cousin's house on Sat at 2PM
the VOD and I leave around noonish
as she needs to bank and booze store etc

just prior to leaving
we get a call from the cousin stating he is taking his 7 & 8 yr old son's skating
and "by the way" his wife had to peel out at 7 AM to go to Nanoose as her uncle passed away
but "never you mind" we'll still meet up at his house at 2:30 with the maiden aunts and have a big ole dinner

so we do the banking and the booze run
and arrive at the cousin's house at 2:30
nobody's home - so we park in the driveway
it occurs to me that the cousin has a new cell phone
so I can't call him
we wait
and we wait
and we wait some more
so we wait even more...

eventually I realize that I should call my house phone
to check and see if he has left a message there
and sure enough he has

he's had to take the youngest son to the dr
as he fell while skating
turns out he's broken his collar bone
poor little man

so I call the maiden aunts and cancel
and the VOD and I stay long enough
to make sure that the cousin is ok
(cos usually it's his wife that deals with all the family type crises)

I hear the cousin tell his older son that he's proud of the way he helped out today
then I hear the older son tell his father that he's proud of his dad for not freakin out or crying
and for being so brave

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
the VOD and I came home and had pizza
then the maiden aunts decide that they want to take us out for supper
on Mother's Day

have ya ever tried to get a dinner reservation
last minute on Mother's Day?
no small feat!
but we did
and I ate too much
but after all is said and done
it's great to see the maiden aunts
and to see that some portion of my family
still acts like family

No comments: