Friday, May 25, 2007

kinda almost sorta...

here's today's horoscope: You may want to keep your ship on an even keel today, dear Leo, but keep in mind that this simply might not be possible, no matter how hard you try. The wind is blowing strongly, and you may just have to adjust your sails and give in to the fact that you will have to sail your ship with a titled keel. This will make you go much faster, but will also mean that you are more prone to capsize. Live on the edge.

Ya'll know that I've been searching for a vehicle to purchase...but I'm having a hard time finding trust for used car salesmen (trying not to find the Herb Tarlek in everyone of them if ya get my drift)....and I couldn't get more wishy washy about what I want if you were to pay me cash dollars.
So I've elicited the assistance of one of my riding brothers.(Zeek)

Yesterday we send back and forth a dozen or so emails on wants vs needs etc...and he comes up with a used 98 Pathfinder Chillcoot for me to look at...it's in good shape, has low mileage and the price seems right...

I am working today and leaving from work for my weekend away. So Zeek goes to the lot and explains the situation and takes the truck out for a test drive...he then brings it to my work and we go out for a quick spin around the block.

I am besotted with this truck...because there's an emotional component here too...when I lived in ON and owned my own business I purchased a brand new 94 pathfinder...and after I got sick, lost everything and moved here I had to sell it at a huge loss because I was declaring bankruptcy....

Here I am all these years later and this pathfinder (while not the same color and an obvious upgrade from my old one) has me hooked. My bro suggests placing a deposit on it to keep it in hand till I get back next week....and that I should try not to drool on the truck when talking to the used car salesman as that usually trumps your ability to negotiate price. LoL

I cut the check and call the (very reputable) dealership to discuss who the check needs to be made out to. I speak to the guy on the phone and he's very solicitous but can't quite do it without me coming there to sign some papers.

So I hop in the truck with Zeek and we slip around the corner to the lot to sign a paper and get a receipt for my refundable deposit. The fellow that Zeek spoke with and the one I spoke to on the phone is too busy and in light of my need to rush asks another fellow salesman to assist me. The first thing that passes thru my head about this second salesman is that he's so nervous that he's got the shakes.

The second salesman begins looking for further paperwork and brings forth a file with information about the truck. The first salesman told Zeek that the truck had not been in an accident...but there's a report in the file that says it had a 3300.00 claim in insurance (but not what for)

The second salesman then begins this double talk about the deposit...seemingly to my mind to force me into a decision I don't want to make right this freakin minute.


The second salesman then tells us that the deposit is non refundable. Zeek calls him on that fact and the guy completely ignores him while continuing to offer some babble about the 2 or 3 other potential buyers he has for the truck. The first salesman then comes over and completely lies about what Zeek had told him in the beginning as well.

My gut says..."see ya!"

"It's ok" says I
and I pick up the check and walk out the door.
Zeek starts to apologize for having led me astray...but I don't think he did. He told the first salesman what my situation was...and the guy got smarmy when I got there.

all of this, for me, gives me an understanding that I should always go with my gut...and if it was meant to be that I get to a point to purchase a truck in the future...it'll happen and if not...maybe I'll buy another $100.00 car!

thanks for the assist today Zeekster
there's always next week!

No comments: