Saturday, November 11, 2006

Impact...

well then...it's over

a chapter of my life that has completely consumed the last 3 years


by 10 AM yesterday I just wanted to beat feet out the door
again with the tears...

I cried on and off all day
people came by and said the most amazing things to me
about me
I am bereft...

I received more cards, and kudos
more heartfelt congratulations and thanks
and more chocolate (these people know me soo well!)

members of my team came in on their day off to say goodbye
and
one lady even came by on her day off
just to drop off some cookies that she'd baked just for me

by 10 I just wanted it to be over
I was completely overwhelmed
and sooo out of my element
I wanted to hide in the bathroom

but I realized that there just comes a time when you have to stop joking
and accept what people are saying about you
to you
with grace
(I can hear my mother's voice speaking to the time my Dad's mother counseled her to "just say thankyou gracefully")

around 3 a fellow stopped by my desk
works in another department
we've been acquainted for a little over a year
we've joked on occasion

he stood at my desk
his hand over his mouth
visibly shaken
for minutes

he pulled his hand away from his face
and said...with tears in his eyes...
"I am a better person for having known you...thank you"

he shook my hand
and walked away.

as he walked away
I sat staring at his back
my mouth hanging open
the tears began again
as I began to think
about impact...

began to think about how we can impact people's lives profoundly
and never really know that we have
and about how very few people
have the privileged of finding out
how they've contributed to or impacted
other's lives
and what an amazing blessing it was
to have been allowed this time
and to have the ability
to end this chapter with grace

at the end of the day
everyone hugged me goodbye
and many of us cried again

I walked out the door
barely hanging on
and as I climbed into my car
I had one brief moment
of hysteria...

"this is wrong...go back
go back...you can fix this
you can stay"

I wiped my face
blew my nose
and started the car



there were more kudos when I got home...

and a lovely blog post from my sister wise Bee...

but it's done...
and so begins the next chapter


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've read your blog from time to time, and my heart has ached when you write about your job. The post about how much your meds cost and how that was the price of your soul struck me with such force... I was a really really lucky person to be on your team, even if it wasn't for long. You are a true leader, and you fight for your people, and you fight well. I am SO UNBELIEVABLY happy that you've finally escaped the place that was draining the life from you, and even though I'll really miss seeing you around, I wish you every good thing in your new job and this new chapter in your life. Take care, and know I'm just one more person who was touched by you.