Friday, November 17, 2006

the new job

Hmmmmmmmmm – the benefit package is virtually the same as the provincial gov’t

The part that I find hard is that people that work in academia are so fucking sure that they “know” more than anyone else…that they’re more real or more in touch with their feminine side or the planet er sommat

ya’ll gotta know how I’m dealin with that…they need my “special kind of love” that’s for sure

But the work itself so far is fine


As a matter of fact I’ve actually experienced some residue guilt – I mean on my last job I showed up at 8:15 to 8:30 for a 9 AM start and pounded work from 8:15 to 5:30 for a 5PM shift end
just to stay on top

and mostly so far I’ve been sharpening pencils and checking out how poorly stuff is run and coming up with plans to get that kinda stuff worked out for the future..

I've been lucky in that the young woman that was the temp doing the job has stayed on for a couple of weeks to "show me the ropes" but she couldn't find her arse with a compass and a map so while she is familiar with all the external people we deal with - she's pretty much driving me nuts with her complete lack of organization

It's all about a learning curve - and it ain't gonna take much for me to organize this place I don't think - because the new boss is up for "change" with a big C

So yesterday a “logistical planner” visited me so I could arrange to have my office rearranged…I need the desk turned around to face the door and a couple of partitions moved….they are gonna "draw something up and get back to me" so it should be done by Christmas – holy crap eh?

Bureaucracy at it’s finest at a University…but I’ll get used to it

Watch me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The part that I find hard is that people that work in academia are so fucking sure that they “know” more than anyone else"

Ahhh.....the university educated idiots